ICAN Welcomes White House’s First-Ever U.S. National Strategy to Counter Antisemitism
May 25, 2023
The Israeli-American Civic Action Network (ICAN), an organization dedicated to empowering Israeli-American immigrants and strengthening their role in American society, acknowledges the significant step taken by the Biden-Harris Administration with the release of the first-ever U.S. National Strategy to Counter Antisemitism. This comprehensive initiative, which includes over 100 new actions and calls to action, lays an important and historic foundation in the fight against antisemitism and demonstrates the Administration’s commitment to protecting Jewish communities and strengthening American democracy.
We commend the Administration’s embrace of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) definition of antisemitism, a critical tool in identifying and combating antisemitic hate. This recognition is a significant milestone in the ongoing efforts to combat antisemitism at all levels of society.
“The Biden-Harris Administration will, first and foremost, continue speaking out clearly and forcefully against antisemitism and those who peddle it, and urge all sectors of society to do the same,” the White House statement reads.
As an organization, ICAN recognizes that this strategy, while a significant milestone, is a starting point in our collective efforts to combat antisemitism. It is a testament to the Administration’s dedication to this cause. In the coming days and weeks, ICAN will be closely reviewing the plan and working constructively to support and enhance those aspects that resonate most with our community.
Key overall points:
1. The strategy is the first of its kind in U.S. history, marking a significant milestone in the fight against antisemitism.
2. It includes over 100 new actions and calls to action, demonstrating the Administration’s comprehensive approach to this issue.
3. The strategy emphasizes the importance of education, awareness, and cross-community solidarity in combating antisemitism.
4. It recognizes the threat antisemitism poses to all Americans, not just the Jewish community.
5. The strategy reaffirms the United States’ commitment to the State of Israel’s right to exist, its legitimacy, and its security.
Specific policy recommendations:
– Increasing education about antisemitism and its threat to democracy, the Holocaust, and Jewish contributions to American society.
– Improving safety and security for Jewish communities through a more holistic approach.
– Reversing the normalization of antisemitism and countering antisemitic discrimination.
– Building cross-community solidarity and collective action to counter hate.
“Antisemitic conspiracy theories fuel other forms of hatred, discrimination, and bias—including discrimination against other religious minorities, racism, sexism, and anti-LGBTQI+ hate. Antisemitism seeks to divide Americans from one another, erodes trust in government and nongovernmental institutions, and undermines our democracy,” the White House statement reads.
ICAN’s commitment to supporting this strategy:
– Informing and educating the Israeli-American community about this plan, including providing Hebrew language materials and analysis.
– Educating state and local officials about the plan, explaining why it is important to the Israeli-American and pro-Israel communities.
– Adapting the overall plan and policies to fit at the state and local levels of government, ensuring that the fight against antisemitism is comprehensive and reaches all corners of our society.
“The strategy reaffirms the United States’ unshakable commitment to the State of Israel’s right to exist, its legitimacy, and its security—and makes clear that when Israel is singled out because of anti-Jewish hatred, that is antisemitism,” the White House statement reads.
ICAN looks forward to working with the Biden-Harris Administration, as well as our partners in the private sector, civil society, religious and multi-faith communities, and higher education, to implement this strategy and continue our shared mission of combating antisemitism and fostering a more inclusive and tolerant society.The Israeli-American Civic Action Network is dedicated to empowering Israeli immigrants and American allies to create change for a better America, a more secure Israel, and a stronger U.S. – Israel alliance through advocacy education and civic action. Learn more at IsraelUSA.org.