Israel Under Attack – October 2023 Updates
Reported as of October 22, 2023 12:00 AM PDT
The attack began at around 8:30 PM (Pacific Time) on Friday night, October 6, 2023, triggered by a surge of rocket fire and terrorist infiltration from Hamas in Gaza into Israeli territory. These attacks have resulted in military and civilian casualties, injuries, and a heightened state of alert across Israel and for Jewish communities around the world.
In this update:
- Updated Map of Gaza and Attack
- Map of Rockets that Fell Inside Gaza
- Two-Week Recap
- Operational Update
- US SecDef Call with Israeli Defense Minister Gallant
- US SecDef Order on Force Posture
Impact Two-Week Recap (Oct 22.):
~6,900+ Rockets Fired | 450+ Failed
22 locations outside the Gaza Strip, including towns and other communities as far as 15 miles (24 kilometers) from the Gaza border
1,000 Hamas terrorists neutralized.
Dozens of senior Hamas terrorist leaders eliminated.
Subject: Update on Ongoing Conflict at Israel’s Northern Border
Date: October 22, 2023
The conflict initiated by Hamas in the South has been ongoing for two weeks and one day. However, there has been a significant escalation on Israel’s northern border involving Hezbollah and other Iranian-backed terrorist organizations. This briefing provides an overview of the situation, including the nature of the attacks, Israel’s responses, and implications for international law.
- Current Situation and Timing
- As of 6:42 a.m. on Sunday, October 22, 2023, the conflict has been ongoing for two weeks and one day.
- Geographical Focus
- The northern border of Israel is the current hotspot, stretching approximately 120 km or 80 miles up to the triangle of borders between Israel, Syria, and Lebanon.
- Hezbollah and other Iranian-backed terrorist organizations are the main aggressors.
- These groups have launched attacks on Israeli military positions and communities, primarily using anti-tank fire and rockets.
- Both civilian and military casualties have been reported.
- Tactics of Aggressors
- Hezbollah is using civilian infrastructure to launch attacks.
- There have been instances where Hezbollah has fired near UN positions, possibly to provoke an Israeli response that could harm UN peacekeepers.
- Israeli Response
- Israel’s response has been measured, tactical, and confined to areas close to the border.
- Various forms of weaponry, including tanks, drones, and artillery, have been used.
- International Law
- Hezbollah’s actions are in direct violation of UN Security Council resolution 1701, which stipulates that Hezbollah should not be present in the area south of the Litani River.
Pentagon Press Secretary Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder provided the following readout:
Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III continued his near daily calls with Israeli Minister of Defense Yoav Gallant today to discuss Israel’s response to Hamas’ terrorist attacks. The Secretary thanked Minister Gallant for Israel’s role in facilitating the Oct. 21 humanitarian convoy into Gaza and reiterated the importance of protecting civilians. The two leaders also discussed the continued provision of security assistance and the U.S. commitment to deter any state or non-state actor seeking to escalate this war.
Following detailed discussions with President Biden on recent escalations by Iran and its proxy forces across the Middle East Region, today I directed a series of additional steps to further strengthen the Department of Defense posture in the region. These steps will bolster regional deterrence efforts, increase force protection for U.S. forces in the region, and assist in the defense of Israel.
First, I redirected the movement of the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group to the Central Command area of responsibility. This carrier strike group is in addition to the USS Gerald R. Ford Carrier Strike Group, which is currently operating in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. It will further increase our force posture and strengthen our capabilities and ability to respond to a range of contingencies.
I have also activated the deployment of a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) battery as well as additional Patriot battalions to locations throughout the region to increase force protection for U.S. forces.
Finally, I have placed an additional number of forces on prepare to deploy orders as part of prudent contingency planning, to increase their readiness and ability to quickly respond as required.
I will continue to assess our force posture requirements in the region and consider deploying additional capabilities as necessary.
The Israeli-American Civic Action Network respectfully urges elected, appointed, and otherwise public officials to speak out and condemn the Hamas terrorists in Gaza, support Israel, and demand that U.S. officials give them the latitude necessary to dismantle and remove the terrorists from Gaza.Timeline (First Day of War):
|Event – October 7, 2023
|First reports of rocket attacks on Israel. 2,500 rockets estimated.
|11:30 p.m. (Oct. 6)
|8:30 p.m. (Oct. 6)
|First reports of infiltrations into Israel. Residents ordered to stay near homes.
|9:30 p.m. (Oct. 6)
|First reports of casualties from attacks.
|10:00 p.m. (Oct. 6)
|First sirens warning of rockets in Jerusalem.
|10:15 p.m. (Oct. 6)
|Reports of Israeli retaliatory strikes in Gaza.
|10:20 p.m. (Oct. 6)
|IDF Launches “Operation Iron Swords” and initiates reserve call-ups.
|Netanyahu makes his first public statement, declaring, “Israel is at war.”
|IDF Home Front Command places restrictions on gatherings.
|Israel deploys battalions to the Gaza border, retaking towns. Rocket fire subsides.
|The White House announces President Joe Biden has been briefed on Hamas terrorist attacks in Israel.
|Israel reports 100 killed and 900 injured.
|U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken condemns Hamas’ attack on Israel, issuing a statement of solidarity with Israel and condolences for the lives lost.
|IDF confirms Hamas hostages; Israel fighting at 22 locations. Four divisions at Gaza border.
|Israel strikes two high-rise towers in Gaza housing Hamas assets.
|Israel announces hundreds of terrorists killed in southern Israel and Gaza.
|Israeli Energy Minister halts electricity supply to Gaza.
|Rocket barrage strikes central Israel; 150 killed.
|Israel raises the official death toll to 200.
|IDF announces a new wave of airstrikes on Gaza.
|Israeli Defense Minister extends the emergency situation to the entire state of Israel.
|Israel raises the official death toll to 250.
|Netiv HaAsara municipality releases names of 15 residents killed in the attack.
|Event – October 8, 2023
|Netanyahu makes a televised address in Israel, elaborating on the war situation and his directives to the security establishment. He emphasizes that Israel will prevail.
|Midnight (Oct. 7-8)
|5:00 p.m. (Oct. 7)
|2:00 p.m. (Oct. 7)
|U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin releases a statement on the situation in Israel. Austin also has a call with U.S. Centcom Commander Gen. Eric Kurilla.
|8:30 p.m. (Oct. 7)
|5:30 p.m. (Oct. 7)
On the morning of October 7 (Shabbat 7.10, the holiday of Simchat Torah) began massive rocket fire from the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory, while terrorists infiltrated Israel from a number of different points.
This is an extensive terrorist attack on the civilian population in Israel in the midst of Simchat Torah, when hundreds of thousands of Israelis were on their way to the synagogues to celebrate with their communities and families.
As part of the attack, which continues at this moment in full force, the terrorist organization is firing missiles toward cities in the south and center of Israel and toward Jerusalem – indiscriminate fire intended to hit the civilian population. During this time, Hamas terrorists have infiltrated Israeli territory in order to harm and murder civilians as much as they can.
- The terrorist organization Hamas launched an extensive attack on the citizens of Israel, through widespread and indiscriminate firing of missiles and rockets at the citizens of Israel from the south to Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, infiltration of terrorists into the southern towns and villages and attempts to murder families and individuals on their way to synagogues.
- This is an initiated attack by terrorist organizations led by Hamas, without any pretext or prior action on the part of Israel. Moreover, this attack comes after a long period in which Israel is trying to bring calm to the Gaza Strip, throughextensive efforts to improve the civilian situation in the Gaza Strip.
- This attack proves once again, for those who still had a doubt, Hamas has no interest in the safety and well-being of the citizens of the Gaza Strip and sees them as nothing more than a pawns in its efforts to harm the citizens of Israel.
- Israel will act in any way necessary to protect its citizens, and will not shy froma broad operation in Gaza. Israel will exact the full price from the terrorist organizations, and is prepared to act as necessary until its goals are achieved. Hamas is the sovereign power in the Gaza Strip, standing behind this attack, and will bear the results and responsibility for the events.
- The terrorist organization are a branch of the Ayatollah regime in Iran, which proactively promotes terrorist activity in Israel and against Israeli and Jewish targets all over the world.
- The residents of the Gaza Strip are not enemies of Israel, but the terrorist organizations that operate knowingly and deliberately from within densely populated areas and adjacent to humanitarian buildings and institutions make cynical use of them. Israel does and will do everything possible to prevent harm to non-involved people, but the terrorist organizations knowingly operate from within the civilian population, committing double war crimes – indiscriminately.